OK, so a little vent is necessary, I'm sure I'll feel refreshed after...In order to vent, I need to tell a little story. It's a my world for the past 48 hours...as true to life as I can tell it.
Lets start with Tuesday at about 5 pm:
- We agree to pick up Bennie and Hannah from daycare as both Anatole and Jessica work late and her mother is on vacation, therefore not babysitting Ben. I meet Lars and we leave with all 4 kids. Espen in his stroller, watching my every move - as he doesn't like me spending too much time with another kid - each time I pick Ben up (cuz he is walking....and a little distracted by all the cars driving by...) Espen yells and points at me... The girls walk nicely and we all make it to our house 5 blocks away - not without many looks by passers-by (4 kids under 4...).
- Once safely home, the girls and I drive to get the pizza that I pre-ordered for us all. No real drama - Things are going well!
- Get home, Ben is crying for MAMA! Get him distracted with some food. He and Espen eat pizza faster than I can cut it into small bite-sized pieces. The girls even eat a good amount! SUCCESS!
- After, we play inside as the humidity is ridiculous outside. Anatole arrives about 45 minutes later. All is good and everyone is intact. Now it's time for a trip to the playground. Again, SUCCESS.
- popsicle, baths, books and bedtime follow. (Score: Lars and Melissa 1 - Kids 0)
- Now, Lars has his glass of wine, and I try to access my work computer to finish a report....no luck. Off to bed.
- 3:38 AM - Enter Sofia - "Mamma, I had a potty accident" UGH. Not to mention, Lars forgot to put a "potty pad" on the bed, and no pull-up on Sofia = wet mess. She gets new undies and crawls into our bed...I am blotting pee from her mattress. (Melissa 1, Kids 1). Back to bed.
- 6-something - I crawl out of bed, make some coffee and again try to access the work computer, no luck. Surf for a short while - Espen's up. Chit-chat with him and drink my coffee. Time to get ready. Off to work by 8 ish.
- It's EEG day. Start reading right away. Have a good start, but have to get a couple of things together for noon teaching conference. While down in a different office, get bombarded by the attending who's report I didn't finish cuz I couldn't connect to my work computer. He says, "we have to get this fixed, I know you've had trouble with it. blah blah blah". (Melissa 0, Work 1)
- Give noon conference lecture to residents and med students with other fellows - SUCCESS! (Melissa 1, Work 1)
- EEG reading falls apart in the afternoon as my attending has meetings to attend and several hospital studies come through....Don't leave until 7 pm - didn't finish all of my EEG reports now too. (Melissa 1, Work 2, no 3)
- Get home, and go right to playground to see my family. Then home, popsicles again for kids and this is the result:
Espen decided that he should smear the blueberry stuff all over his face...luckily it was before bath.
Sofia gets a hold of the camera, I try to show her what button to push, while Espen tries to climb out of his chair...
- Next bath, books, and BED for the kids. Sofia gets a PULL UP tonight! and decides she is going to fall asleep in our bed. FINE, whatever.
- Chat with mom on facebook...... Time for bed (can hardly keep eyes open any longer - and certainly cannot attempt to finish the unfinished reports from work) decide I will get up early to work (I am much more functional) - prepare the coffee so it will be all ready.
- 10:30 - Carry Sofia back to her bed - then I CRASH.
- 3:30 - Sofia comes to sleep with us....
- 5:00 - alarm - drag myself downstairs - push button to start coffee. Prepare my work - have solved problem accessing work computer YEA!
- 5:05 - Espen stirs - ARE YOU KIDDING ME? (his door was open to allow air to circulate upstairs - MISTAKE!), he seems to fall back to sleep.
- 5:10 - Stupid coffee maker beeps to indicate it is done brewing....Espen hears this (he knows what it is...) and wakes up for real. I let Lars get up and get him. No luck getting him back to sleep, so he is up by 6:00 - obviously not all of my reports got finished. Espen doesn't want to let me work when he is up...Instead, he would like to "talk on the phone, bluetooth, and push the pager buttons".
- by 6:30 - throw hands up in the air - Lars gets Espen breakfast, I make my lunch for work. Time to get ready for work.
- by 7:45, Sofia is now ready to go with me. Espen Lloyd Bin Laden (the little stubborn terrorist) is pretty much ready for bed again...
- Sofia and I walk to school/work.
- Should be a "lighter" day as one of my attendings did part of the work already since he had to go out of town....yes!... Finish unfinished reports -
- SHOOT, there is a carotid artery surgery to monitor on EEG.
- Carotid case makes me poop my pants, just a little ( just kidding!), but there were some issues and I had to tell the surgeon to put a shunt in a blood vessel cuz the brain was going flat...STRESS!
- Whew, that's over.
- During lunch - stayed in my "EEG reading room office" and called my Grandma G for a little chat.
- here is a little look at my workspace: (you need to open the pic to see the comments) I basically take over the place. He He He!
- Leave for home at 7pm AGAIN. Reports not finished, AGAIN... (Melissa -2, Work 17)
- Meet the fam ready to go to the playground...SUCCESS.
- Snacks, baths, Sofia and Lars play, books, bed. Sofia ends up in our bed again....(this has to stop).
- Here I am drinking a glass of wine (even though I have limited myself to only on the weekends (too many calories) - recalling the past 48 hours. Uff. Melissa -5, World 28
- Plans to get up early again to finish my work, We'll see how that goes. Luckily don't have to be in to work until 11 tomorrow!
At the end of it all, I still adore my family, and sometimes like my job. My husband is great and takes care of the kids until I drag myself home from work...Kids are beautiful ( I think) and happy (I think???). They may drive me nuts, but they are my world and I wouldn't give them up for anything!
OK, that's about all - it's kinda long, but maybe you'll get a little chuckle. So long for now :-)



No comments:
Post a Comment