Yes, I am working the night shift. Started Sunday night. 8 pm to 8am (or a little after depending on what is left to be done). 12 total shifts to work, not that I am counting. I'm not a very good night-owl. It's an interesting culture, though, I must admit. The emergency room is really not that different than the day - always buzzing, but the units/floors are a little different. The night nurses and staff have their own little culture. Just ask my sister who has been working nights now for a while in hospitals. It's a little strange, being the ONLY neurologist in the entire hospital. No other miserable souls to comiserate with. Oh, there are still plenty of other residents around to whine to, however. It is a good opportunity for me to get some extra miscellaneous stuff done that I would not ordinarilly get done, just because I am STUCK here, just waiting for the pager to go off and someone to request my services.......ugh. So, mailboxes are getting cleaned, clinic duties are getting caught up, and the internet is getting surfed a little more than usual. Last night I tried to sleep some when it wasn't busy, but that is difficult to do - always waiting for that little noise machine to go off. So, today I slept several hours at home, in the daylight, and tonight, it's time to get extra stuff done (when there's no consult to do).
By the way, it was 61 degrees this afternoon. Lars and I picked Sofia up from school this afternoon and we played at the playground for at least an hour. Lots of neighborhood kids were there. Nice to see everyone coming out, but it's not to last since we have a winter storm watch starting this morning.....DEPRESSING.... Isn't winter over YET?



No comments:
Post a Comment